The first two weeks are best when taking newborn pictures. I prefer about 5-10 days old as the baby is sleepy and rather bendy. When scheduling your newborn session, just let me know when your due date is, and we will make a tentative session appointment after that. I completely understand that babies are on their own schedule, so I am very flexible with my newborn sessions. Most Moms find it easy to send me a text message or email when they get to the hospital, or get moved into their room after delivery.
How long a newborn session takes ~
Newborns are “new” and sometimes very unpredictable with sleeping and eating, I allow extra time. Please don’t feel rushed or stressed because the baby is not cooperating. There is plenty of time to feed your baby, get them to sleep and allow us to get pictures. They can take anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on how the baby is doing. Babies can feel stress; a negative attitude can really affect the turn out of the session, so leave anyone who might disturb the peace or get impatient with the process at home.
Preparing for your newborn session ~
There are definitely some things you can do to give us the best opportunity for a cooperative baby.
- Be prepared and wear summer clothes and bring ice water with you. Newborns love being warm and cozy, and ultimately they will be in their birthday suite so we'll need to keep them warm.
- Try to keep baby awake about 90 minutes before you are planning on heading out the door. a bath is a great way to do this
- A well fed baby is a happy, sleepy baby! If you live near the studio, please feed your baby right before coming. Make sure you get some good burps out before you strap them into their car seat!!!Put them in something that snaps up the front and is easy to remove.
- If you live more than 45 minutes from the studio, please hold off the feeding until you arrive at the studio. I have private quiet areas for you to do this.
- If you are bottle feeding please be sure to bring plenty/extra formula with you.
- Lastly bring with you anything sentimental or was a gift that you would like to include.
- Don't have anything? Don't worry I shop often and I have loads of blankets, bonnets, little hats,tutus, ect. for you to use.
Make sure to get a good burp! A baby with gas is not a happy baby and can result in lots of crying.
Don't worry about baby acne or little scratches. I will retouch all of that "smooth" baby skin. It is a great idea to bring some lotion with you to help with the dry skin.
What to wear?
Newborns ~ I have a large selection of outfits specially designed for newborn photography.
ladies ~ I recommend solid long sleeve shirt (don't worry about your pants they won't show) . Keep your hair and makeup simple, and bring your makeup with you, it tends to melt off in the heat. Do not worry about baby weight or any skin issues, we can retouch all that away. Also keep in mind I am a Mom too and I remember all too well what the first few weeks are like, I will make you look fabulous!
gents~ I love skin on skin daddy portraits, so I may suggest dad’s shirt to come off. However, if you're not comfortable with this a long sleeve solid color shirt (that matches moms) for Dad is also great.
Older siblings~ Should wear matching solid shirts as well for full family portraits. Images of just the children together, I suggest cream, light grey or beige.
Relax, and enjoy this time with your new little one. I will give you portraits that you will look back on, and remember that little bundle that grew up so quickly. I have two of my own who are under two years and it seems like yesterday that they were so little. Time goes so fast and they change even faster.